Looking for flexible Professional Indemnity Cover?
You should consider taking out professional indemnity insurance if your business offers advice, designs or professional services. This essential business insurance protects you against claims made by a client for any financial losses they suffered as a result of your advice or services. You can buy tailored professional indemnity insurance quickly and easily from our Award Winning partner Tapoly*. Cover includes cyber liability, providing protection against hacking or data breaches.
If it’s alleged that you made a mistake in your work, offered bad advice, gave inadequate services or poor designs – anything that results in a financial loss for your client – Professional Indemnity Insurance can cover the cost of your legal defence and any financial compensation for your client. Digital interactions are increasingly important to business and this Professional Indemnity cover includes, as standard, cyber liability to provide liability protection for hacking or data breaches.
What professions do you cover?
We cover a wide range of professions including:
- IT & software development,
- design, marketing & advertising,
- management consultants,
- media, and many more.
Professional Indemnity insurance is suitable for freelancers, sole traders, contractors, the self-employed, and small businesses.
What does it cover?
Depending on what you do for a living, your needs will vary. Cover can include:
- Negligence or dishonesty – where a client believes you were negligent or dishonest in your work or advice which negatively impacted on their business
- Defamation – including libel & slander, where the character of any person or organization has been damaged
- Intellectual Property Infringement – aka copyright breach, where a claim is made that the work you have produced is similar or based on someone else’s work
- Claims expenses – we will cover any legal costs or settlement fees associated with a claim made against you
- Information Security & Privacy Liability – this covers legal issues due to data breaches or hacking, where someone steals or leaks your data
What's not covered by Professional Indemnity?
The purpose of Professional Indemnity insurance is to provide cover for mistakes made arising out of your expertise, it is not a general business insurance policy. For example, it doesn’t cover loss or damage to business equipment – this would be covered by Contents insurance. Nor does it protect employees or clients if they are hurt on your premises – these instances would be covered by Employer’s Liability and Public Liability.
Before buying this insurance you should read the full list of exclusions on the Tapoly website from the link below.
Read More About This Cover and Exclusions
*Services Family Insurance is an Appointed Representative of Tapoly Ltd.